In this series, we introduce you to the designers behind some of the leading brands at POOL. Gain an exclusive look into what it takes to build a brand and the tips to breaking into the biz.
We sat down with Jenna Consiglio, Founder of JAECI Designs, to discuss the important stuff, namely overcoming personal hurdles and taking chances.
1. Tell us about JAECI Designs. JAECI Designs has been my dream ever since I can remember, however I did not realize this until about 7 years ago. Let me back up. In high school I was diagnosed with Autoimmune-Hepatitis (AIH), a non-contagious liver disease common in young teenage girls, causing the immune system to attack itself. I did not know why God had put this upon me, but have always believed that everything happens for a reason.
Before this all happened, I was living everyday in routine, unsure of who I was and what I enjoyed in life. But then my life came to a standstill. I was living at the doctor’s office, getting blood work drawn constantly, and eventually had to have surgery. This made me take a step back. I started looking at life differently, treating everyday with respect and being thankful for what I had. I stopped getting caught up in how other people were trying to tell me to live my life and started living my own so I could go on and pursue my dreams.
Once my AIH was under control, I started feeling more comfortable in my own skin. I signed up for new activities/hobbies that led me to finding out I had a niche for fashion and the arts. Everything seemed to be falling into place. From there I went to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising and after graduating moved back home to Vegas where one day I was on the hunt for an Aquarius bracelet (my zodiac sign). I could not find one anywhere – so I decided to design it – and from there on JAECI Designs was born.
I know everyone has a dream and people always hear the saying “follow your dreams” but never really think anything of it, instead they just follow the norm, but that my friend, is where they are wrong. I created this line for people to believe in themselves, for people to find their passion in life, and for people to be trendy at an affordable cost. Styles are designed after personal history, zodiacs, quotes, music, and much more as a reminder for people to dream beyond their expectations. If you want something out of life go do it, anything in life is possible; all you have to do is believe! That is the JAECI dream.
2. How has your business evolved since day one? Since day numero uno? Geeze, where do I even begin. For starters, I have made multiple mistakes, but without those mistakes I would not have learned a thing. Everything is about taking risks.
When starting out a business I’m not sure anyone really knows what they are getting themselves into, esp a 24 year old, but you take everything as it comes. In the beginning I only sold my designs online and recently in the past couple of months I was able to expand and now my line is being sold in multiple stores for Buckle, INC. Now, here I am at MAGIC, which is another dream come true and huge step for the company in which I look forward to learning even more and gaining another chapter to this evolving story.
3. Any advice for emerging designers looking to break into the industry? Never turn down an opportunity, meet as many people as you can and always remember that you are your brand. Also, stay humble to who you are, if you are a good person good things will happen to you. That I truly believe.
4. Tell us what tool or technology you use every day. In general, I cannot go a day without my iPhone. On that iPhone I cannot go a day without viewing Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and iScopes (gots to get my daily horoscope read on!)
5. Describe your new collection in five words or less. Wanderlust. Risk. Love.